In March 2017, with the framework and the Styrofoam for Park Head done but not glued down, it was now time to concentrate on getting across the door opening to the shelf along the eastern wall to proceed east to Owen Sound. The infrastructure would have to encompass the northern and southern legs of the wye. This meant either keeping something in place or a lift-out. I opted to do a lift out which on the one hand, would allow for flexibility when it came to maintenance but on the other hand, create a lot of precision issues.
I used combination of ½” x ½” and ¾” x ¾” aluminum ‘L’ strip to make a triangular frame that would meet up with a shelf on the adjacent wall. I made supporting ledges on the cage and the bracket on the wall. I also made corresponding lips on the wye frame that went over the cage ledge and the ledge on the bracket on the wall. Holes were drilled to clear three 1” 2-56 brass screws in the ledge on the cage and one 1” x 2-56 screw in the wall bracket ledge. Brass screws were threaded into the holes in lips on the triangular frame and were lined up with the holes in the support ledges on the cage and wall.
Here you can see the ledge on the Park Head bench that the lift-out sits on. There are three holes drilled to clear 2-56 screws. The centre one is easy to see here. The lift-out has three screws permanently put in place pointing down that once inserted into the holes in the ledges are bolted in place using keys.
The special keys are pieces of brass rod drilled and tapped on a lathe. Brass rod and brass sheet handles were soldered in place. Again, these are used to lock the lift-out in place. They are screwed in from underneath the ledges of the cage and wall bracket. This provides more stability and keeps alignment steady when the lift-out is in place. It also helps in the event someone does not duck under enough to clear the wye.
If you look under the wye frame where the red lines are pointing, you can see two of the keys installed.
After the outside of the frame was assembled, tested for placement and ease of removal, some thought was needed to make it more robust. As you can see, the grandmother clock my father built is in the background and has not yet been moved up to the living room.
The frame developed a 1/16” recess in it as I added a bit more bracing. I fastened the aluminum strips to the bottom of the frame on the left using ‘No More Nails’. They have stayed in place well but more support was necessary.
I discovered that 0.060” sheet styrene is 1/16” thick. Researching the Internet led me to a place locally that sells 4’ x 8’ sheets of styrene. I cut a piece to fit in place on the frame. It was part of the solution for the need for more bracing and became a table top to place the Styrofoam on. All was glued down using plastic friendly ‘No More Nails’.
I cut some Styrofoam pieces and put them in place. After I was happy that things were working well enough with regard to installing and removing the lift-out, the Styrofoam was glued down. The line to Wiarton will go under the window in the background. The line to the Helix to Owen Sound connects to the right leg of the wye.
Next: Time for Light Fixtures and Going down the wall toward the helix to Owen Sound.