I know at the end of the last post I indicated that I would describe going down the wall next. However, I forgot that I had actually put down the first of the roadbed in Park Head before I did the bench work along the wall. In order to keep things in correct chronological order, here is The Wye Part 2.
I like using cork roadbed and flex track. Tomalco makes excellent code 70, 83 and 100 flex track and all sorts of aids to help lay it. You can also get ready to run turnouts from them but I, being the frugal person I am, use a FastTracks fixture.
I am using code 70 Tomalco flex track and mostly number 6 turnouts. The code 70 is being used because that is roughly the correct height of the rail, 4.5” which I measured in both Owen Sound and Palmerston. Although I can hand lay track, I am not really fond of doing it and flex track goes down so much quicker and smoother, kind of like a lager over a hoppy IPA. I used number 6 turnouts because they have a large enough radius, 50.788″, and they take up less space. I know the larger number turnouts look better but I only have the number 6 fixture so I make as much use of it as I can. I have had it for over 15 years and it still works great. I also have number 6 code 70 fixtures for a double slip and a three way turnout, once again to save space.
Here is a drawing of Park Head from Ian Wilson’s book, ‘Steam Over Palmerston’, page 111. I asked Ian and he was nice enough to give me permission to use it. Thanks Ian. This should demonstrate what the area looked like.
By the way, there is a picture of the wye looking north taken on October 24, 2018 at the head of the blog. Underneath is an overhead of the wye today. Track is long gone and it is used as an ATV trail now. At least the trail is still there and if we walk along it, close our eyes, we might still hear the whistles from the past and breathe in that refreshing coal smoke from the days gone by. I think I have been re-reading Ian’s excellent books too much.
Park Head had a long stretched out wye which I could duplicate using ‘selective compression’. I accomplished this by using a 3 way turnout at the north end and shortening the distance between the legs of the wye. This was done so the duck-under/lift-out would not be too long for those of us who are getting old and have arthritis setting in.
The track centre lines were drawn on the Styrofoam. By placing track and turnouts in place as sort of a dry run, I could see if things would work out as planned before I started to lay down any roadbed.
Some adjustment had to made before the roadbed was glued in. The cork roadbed I started with was the S scale version that is sold by Scenery Unlimited. I did not have much so I bought two whole boxes of O scale locally which was pretty reasonable a couple years ago and set up my modelers’ table saw to narrow it down. It worked pretty well. Most S scale people simply combine an HO half with an O scale half and get the same result but the division line is off centre and one has to guess/measure out the centre line. Too much effort. Then again, I stood at the table saw for a number of hours slowly cutting the messy, gummy cork! When I ran out of the O scale, I decided to get more of the S scale because it was similar in price to the O scale now. A word of caution, the present S roadbed from Scenery Unlimited is no longer split at all. Apparently this is because the cutter is not able to do it anymore. I was informed that it was not split at an angle, meaning to me that it was at least split at 90 degrees which I could have lived with but now I have to split it on a band saw at an angle and it needs to be split to curve easily. I feel that was misleading on their part. So much for saving time!
I use carpenter’s glue thinned with water to glue the cork down and I use ‘T’ pins to hold it in place. If it gets persnickety, I revert to old magazines to hold it down.
Things were getting pretty exciting. The track laying crew was getting impatient but they held off until all the upper level bench work and roadbed was in place just to make certain that nothing had to be redone because of potential problems down the line. As you can see, the lower level, Owen Sound has become a landing zone for materials to be used in the upper level. Not quite fair for the denizens of Owen Sound but their time will come.
Thanks for following so far. Next I will really go down the wall towards the helix to Owen Sound and discuss lighting for the upper level.